Thursday, May 3, 2007

Dancing and Having Fun

A while ago, a friend of mines asked me to go to a club where there's dancing involved. I told him that I prefer not to go because I'm scared of dancing. He tried very hard to convince me but I wouldn't budge. I told him I would rather do 10 cold approaches on a given night or speak in front of a large crowd than dancing. I am not lying when it comes to dancing: I'm dead scared of it. Even after taking salsa lessons, I still feel uncomfortable going to a salsa club. But in a hip hop club, I WILL freeze myself and be terrified.


















You may wonder why am I so scared of dancing? Deep down I think it's because I'm very self conscious of myself and not confidant in my dancing skills. Whenever I try to dance, I keep thinking to myself, "OMG, I don't know to dance! Am I doing this right? I hope I'm not making a fool of myself here". So that's why I almost always avoid going to dance clubs.

Then an interesting thread came out recently from the TMM forums. The owner of the thread, BabyGirl, brought up an interesting point about dancing and having fun.

Here's the threads but beware though, there are many funny posts and replies in it because of the flame wars going on. You have been warned.

http://www.themysterymethod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37891
http://www.themysterymethod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38073

After reading this and seeing how BabyGirl dancing ridiculously awful he dances bit still having fun and not giving a damm about what others think opened my eyes and to see the light. As long as you're having fun, being confidant, wearing the smile, and not worrying about what others think, IT'S ALL OK. I really recommend you view the thread to see how shitty he dances.

What's even more eye-opening is that this MAY be an attractive quality to other people. I mean if I was at at a dance club and saw a guy dancing like a fool, my first impression is that the guy should stop and get off the stage. But after awhile, seeing him still dancing and having a REALLY REALLY good time, my thoughts about him would change. I would probably be like, "Wow, he's really having a good time. I give you respect and I want to have fun just like him."

So I can see how this can all make sense. This also ties to just be yourself and most importantly, to have fun. As long as you're not too self-conscious and have a lot fun, then everything will be OK. This also applies to meeting new people whether it's at a dance club, coffee shop, malls, or a bar. I won't go into detail about this. Maybe some other day.

As for now, I'm very thankful to have found that thread. It gave me a little more courage to face the dancing floor and to STOP being so self conscious. It doesn't matter as long as I can be confidant, fun, and not worrying what others will think of me.

Of course, this is easier said than done. If I ever do go to a dance club, I will write a little report on it and see how it goes. This is a promise to you guys. As for my friend who might be reading this, I might take up on your offer to go dancing.

BTW, here are some really sick dance videos. That guy is GOOD. You have to check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zE6JNXdtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlvpkRxTcb0

No comments: